Monday, January 21, 2013

A Winter's Respite Read-a-Thon: Starting Line #WintersRespite


Welcome to the starting line! Be sure to sign in here, at the beginning or when you start reading.  Remember, you do not have to have a blog to join us.  You can sign in linking to Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads...wherever you will be updating from.  And you don't have to start at the beginning.  Start on any day this week, or if you're working all week, join us for the weekend.  People can sign-in up until Friday night at 11:59pm CST.  I'll be stopping by and visiting you so I hope you will have your book piles/reading lists posted. *hint hint*  Also, a reminder that I'm allowing children's books as long as you read some (or from) novels as well.  And for those who asked me.  Yes, of course, non-fiction is okay too.

Join us on Twitter using the hashtag #WintersRespite.  We are going to have four Twitter chats this week.  I tried to have a good variance of time.  Hope one of the slots will work for everyone.  Here's the Twitter chat schedule:

Wednesday at 6:00pm CST
Friday at 8:00pm CST
Saturday at 10:00am CST
Sunday at 1:00pm CST

I will be popping in on Twitter from time to time in case you have any questions and also to check updates.  I try to visit as many blogs as I can, but I'm one person so please bear with me.  At other odd times on Twitter, we might even have some reading sprints throughout the week.  There won't be any prizes if/when we do, but you will get bragging rights.  Just remember to have fun this week.  Again, my read-a-thon credo is "a week of relaxed reading during which we can personally challenge ourselves and whittle away those ever looming TBR piles/shelves/libraries."  I have done away with mini-challenges so we can focus more on the reading, but please do stop by and visit your fellow read-a-thon-ers if you get a chance...and again, we will also be on Twitter for social interaction.  =O)

PRIZES/GIVEAWAYS
I will have the prize and giveaway page posted during the day on Monday so come back here to find it (sad to say, not as many prizes this time).  I will also have easy access links at the top of the blog.  Melissa at 4 a Happier Me is hosting a mini-challenge with prizes (Thank you, Melissa!).  Visit the link below to participate.

2013 YA Book Cover Challenge

Okay, I think that's about it.  I hope you all have fun this week.  If you have any questions, please leave me a comment below, but be sure to leave your email address so I can respond.  I will be posting my updates at my main blog, The True Book Addict, so stop by and visit me.  Happy Reading!

SIGN IN HERE:

Mister Linky's Magical Widgets -- Easy-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
For best results, use HTML mode to edit this section of the post.


Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. Morning all! How appropriate that Day 1 of AWRRaT coincides with a hearty downfall of snow here in England, meaning an impromptu snow day for me, woohoo! It's nearly 9am so I'm off to make more coffee and keep reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a snow day too :) Lovely white coming through my window, good light for reading my book. It's a shame we don't have more snow in England!

    Thanks for hosting again Michelle. I'm really going to read a lot this time, my past two were not so successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How much snow 'do' you get in England in the winters? We usually get about a good 6 feet of snow in total over the entire Winter in the area where we live. We get a LOT of Lake effect snow here where when the winds come in from the NE, the snow comes whipping in off Lake Huron. That's a LOT of snow to shovel by hand! My poor husband! We don't own a snowblower like most of our neighbor's do. Bummer! They're not the kind that will come on over and snowblow your snow for you, either. Wouldn't it be nice if they did! We have one neighbor who has a son, and if my hubby is not yet done shoveling, HE will snowblow it for us! Thank Gosh! Especially helpful when the plow comes through and pushes ALL that snow into our driveway again! HATE when that happens!
      Last year we had ZERO snow - the first time in my HISTORY, HERE! That has NEVER happened before! It wasn't even that cold, either! Same thing this year for the temperatures, but we have gotten about a little over a foot of snow so far. Over 3 days a few weeks ago we had 1 storm that dumped a little over 1 foot of snow, and we've had a few other snowfalls that were about 3-4". Last night we got another 2" of powdery fluff. It was SO easy for my husband to clean that off, though! Thankfully! In total, for this year, I would guess we've had about 2 feet so far!
      Unfortunately, I'm in a wheelchair and couldn't shovel if I wanted to. Not anymore. Oh, well.
      I do LOVE to see it falling while we're inside, especially when we're all snuggled up and reading! So cozy warm inside and in a good book! LOVE that part of snow!
      I always wonder why it seems to only ever snow at night? Whenever we have a storm, the snow hits at night and we don't get to see it in the daytime. At least that's how it's been the last few years.
      I remember when I was a kid, and it always would snow in the daytime, making the roads horrible to drive on!
      I guess the temps are warming after all? Only time will tell.
      I wish you MORE snow, if you would like!
      Happy Reading!
      Laurie Carlson
      laurieisreading at gmail dot com

      Delete
    2. We have never had that much snow. When I was a child I remember a covering of snow was grass poking through the top of it :) So compare to that we've had a lot of snow. It's snowed again for the second time today and we're just not prepared to deal with it, trains don't run, schools close.

      I was just talking about this with my friend earlier this evening... we think it's become worse over the past 7ish years?!

      I am enjoying it,but I still have to go out and work so it's only aiding my book reading in the evenings ;)

      Delete
  3. GL all! Hoping this will be a good incentive to kick start my reading slump!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I decided to join in. It's such a nice excuse to do a lot of reading.

    Here's my post. http://wp.me/p20Gmw-4Eb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I accidentally posted in the Linky for the FrightFall challenge. Forgot I scrolled down to look at it. :) You can ignore that one. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoops, I entered my name into the Linky twice...sorry! I'm excited to start the read-a-thon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck, everyone :-)

    I hope it's okay that my goal is reading a certain number of pages each day instead of posting a list of books to read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy to be joining in this week. A winter's respite. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Everyone! It's almost 9:00pm here on Monday, and my list disappeared! I forgot to hit PUBLISH! For those of you who have Blogger - what happens is your Post disappears, but is saved, and it says DRAFTS next to it! Nice to know! I got side-tracked with getting my Post PUBLISHED, and had to find out what happened! That's what happens! My computer kept crashing today - without restarting, that's what it did! NEW to me! I never had that happen before!
    Michelle, thank you for hosting this!
    I've been looking forward to it ALLLLL month long, since I found it! I think it may be in the wee hours of the morning where you are, now? Are you in England? It's only 8:50pm here, still Monday evening! SO GLAD I caught this! I almost DIED when I realized I forgot to hit PUBLISH! I MADE IT!!! PHEW! (Wipes the sweat off my forehead!) I just had a laugh - know what my daughter used to call that when she was little? Fore-behead! LOL!!! YES! Oh! Memories from your kids when they were little!
    Happy Reading, Everyone!
    Laurie Carlson
    laurieisreading at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck everyone! It is around 10 degrees here this morning, which for KY is really cold! I know for some of you that is not cold at all. It makes for good reading weather!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and I are both playing catch up on readalongs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry I put my post in late but I've been reading all week :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry I was not able to participate in this read-a-thon due to a bad migraine this weekend. But I will absolutely catch the next one....happy reading to all!

    Courtney
    Stiletto Storytime

    ReplyDelete
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/show-comment-box-above-comments-on.html#sthash.SyglVmdY.dpuf